DeKalb County Health Department forms in 1924. The staff consists of the health officer, a school nurse, a maternal health nurse and a clerk. The department is located in an old house on Ponce de Leon Avenue in Decatur. The department later moves to two rooms in the Decatur Bank building. Health officers were Warren A Harrison, M.D. (1924-1925)和Rufus J. 埃文斯,M.D. (1925-1950). 董事会主席是W. T. McCurdy,米.D. (1924-1928)和J. E. 鲜花,米.D. (1928-1952).
A nurse and sanitary engineer are added to the staff. The county purchases a home on Clairemont Avenue in Decatur to house the health department. 斯科特烛台, the commissioner of roads and revenue, joins the Board of Health and becomes a force for change.
The county health department becomes responsible for the City of Decatur, which previously had its own health officer. Dental and venereal disease services are added. The health department moves to a newly constructed building on Herring Street in Decatur. The staff consists of a health officer, six nurses, two sanitarians and one clerk.
A new health department facility in Decatur 完成. A nurse is placed in the [据 Mill and Grady Memorial Hospital establishes a clinic at the health department. DeKalb County becomes the first county in Georgia with a fluoridated public water supply. DeKalb County Health Department assumes responsibility for the Atlanta-in-DeKalb area when the Atlanta and Fulton County health departments merge. The expansion includes a mobile chest x-ray unit, 学校健康计划, 心脏护理服务, 牙科服务及狂犬病防治. Staff now includes a psychiatric social worker, 四名狂犬病控制人员, 20名护士和一名健康教育工作者. New health centers are established in Doraville, 乔治亚, 布鲁克海文国家实验室, 林伍德公园, [据, 石山和塔克. The health department also opens a new dog pound and hires a pound master. 卫生官员是Thomas O. 文森,M.D. (1950-1975) and the board chair is Rufus J. 埃文斯,M.D. (1952-1969).
Health centers in the Southwest DeKalb (McAfee Road) and South DeKalb areas are opened. The Board of Health is responsible for: the dog pound, 房屋编码, 牛奶规定, 虫鼠防治, mental health and mental retardation services, 公共卫生护理. DeKalb has a new main health center on Winn Way and eight outlying centers. The health Department has 136 employees. Staff conducts classes on radiological monitoring; attendees are certified as proficient in detecting radiological fallout in case of a nuclear attack. Water pollution begins to become a concern.
A health center opens in the East Lake Meadows neighborhood. Drug problems and the need for rehabilitation services are noted. 卫生主管是Gunar N. 罕,M.D., M.P.H. (1976-1988) and board chair is Jack Hamilton (1970-1984).
The McAfee and East Lake Meadows health centers close. J. Frederick Agel becomes chair of the Board of Health (1984). 后博士. 博汉的死，R. 德瑞尔·盖伊博士.D., deputy director, serves as acting director. 1989年，保罗. 威斯纳,M.D.成为地区卫生主任.
Eleanor L. 理查森 Health Center opens on Winn Way. In 1992, DeKalb County residents pass a $29 million bond referendum to improve health facilities. The 迪卡尔布社区服务委员会 is created by a 1994 state law to provide the mental health, mental retardation and substance abuse services previously offered by the Board of Health. In 1997, the 东迪卡尔布 Health Center opens in 乔治亚, housing both Board of Health and Community Service Board programs. The old Tucker, Stone Mountain and 乔治亚 health centers close. In 1998, the 北迪卡尔布 Health Center opens in Chamblee, also offering both Board of Health and Community Service Board services. The old 布鲁克海文国家实验室 and Doraville health centers are closed.
T. O. 文森 Health Center on Winn Wayand DeKalb-Atlanta Human 服务 Center, 柯克伍德伟德平台的所在地, 完成.